View Mobile Site

Text Size: Smaller Larger Normal

Homicide victim’s mother still waiting for ‘justice’

Trial for 2008 stabbing gets pushed back until next year; Defense attorney’s busy court calendar cau

Homicide victim’s mother still waiting for ‘justice’

Nicholas John Harris, 25, is still awaiting trial on 2008 murder and arson charges.


POSTED July 24, 2012 11:34 p.m.

On Aug. 12, 2008, Christie Henson was given the devastating news that her son, 25-year-old Mark Henson II, had been stabbed to death. As the days approach the four-year anniversary of her son’s death, Henson is still waiting for the day when her son’s accused killer will stand trial.

“I am waiting for justice,” Henson said. “It’s not right that as victims and family of victims we have to endure this torture.”

Nicholas John Harris, 25, was taken into custody a day after Mark Henson’s death in 2008 on murder and arson charges. Harris remains in custody in lieu of a $5 million bail.

According to the Turlock Police Department, which investigated the homicide, Mark Henson was stabbed at least 15 times and was found bleeding in the front yard of a home on Bennington Avenue, just blocks away from his mother’s house. His car, parked nearby, had been set on fire. He was rushed to Emanuel Medical Center, where he died from his injuries.

Investigators turned their attention toward Harris after it was learned he was involved with a woman that Mark Henson had previously dated.

Harris was arrested in Sacramento on Aug. 13, 2008. His mug shot from when he was booked show burns on his face. A search warrant of his Turlock residence turned up forensic evidence linking him to the crime, according to the police report.

Since his arrest, Harris has made 40 court appearances, including for his preliminary hearing. Three times his jury trial has been put on the court’s calendar and three times it has been rescheduled.

The third re-setting happened Monday in Stanislaus County Superior Court because Harris’ defense attorney Frank Carson has back to back trials scheduled. The trial, which was scheduled to start Aug. 28, had to be taken off the calendar because of Carson’s busy schedule, which includes a current murder trial.

“I would not be done by the time I have to move forward on the other one,” Carson told the court in his request to reschedule the trial.

A new jury trial has been tentatively set for April 23, 2013.

“I just want to put my son to rest and allow my family, friends and myself to be able to move on,” Henson said.

Commenting is not available.

Share on Facebook Bookmark and Share
Commenting not available.

Please wait ...