View Mobile Site

Text Size: Smaller Larger Normal

Family escapes fire; suffers minor injuries

POSTED September 7, 2012 5:00 p.m.

A Turlock couple sustained burn injuries Wednesday when they rushed through the flames to rescue their children from their burning home.

The 27-year-old man, his wife and a young child sustained first and second degree burns from the blaze at their home in the 700 block of High Street. The Turlock Fire Department reported that all three refused medical treatment at the scene.

The fire was reported shortly before 1 a.m. Wednesday by a neighbor who called 911. The fire appears to have started by faulty wiring in a clothes dryer in the laundry room. The flames spread to the attic of the home and a portion of the exterior. The fire caused major damage to the home and caused an estimated loss of $45,000 in property and contents, according to the fire department.

The children’s bedroom was on the other side of the laundry room and the couple sustained their injuries while rushing through the flames to get their children. The couple and their three children made it out of the home by breaking through two windows in the children’s room.

A total of 20 fire fighters from multiple agencies were called to the scene. The fire was under control within several minutes of arrival and fully extinguished in 32 minutes, the TFD reported.

The family was alerted to the fire by some popping sounds coming from the laundry room. A smoke detector in the home was not operational because the batteries had died and not been replaced, TFD reported. The fire department said the family slept with their bedroom doors closed, which gave them enough time to evacuate.

Commenting is not available.

Share on Facebook Bookmark and Share
Commenting not available.

Please wait ...