View Mobile Site

Text Size: Smaller Larger Normal

Officer saves woman from burning home

POSTED November 17, 2009 9:35 p.m.
A disabled woman was treated for smoke inhalation, but escaped any further injuries after she was rescued from her burning bedroom by a Turlock police officer.
The fire was reported just before noon Friday in the 1400 block of N. Tully Road by the 67-year-old resident.
The woman had been using incense in her bedroom and had fallen asleep while it was still burning, according to the Turlock City Fire Department. The fire was started when ash from the incense fell into a waste paper basket and ignited the trash, which spread to the carpet around the can, the fire department said.
The smoke and flames awoke the woman and she called 911, telling them that because of her physical disability, she was unable to get out of the residence on her own. She also said the flames were burning right next to her wheelchair.
Turlock Police Officer JJ Ramos was the first to arrive at the scene. He used a fire extinguisher to tamp down the flames and got the woman out of the residence safely as the fire and ambulance personnel arrived.
The fire was fully extinguished about five minutes after firefighters arrived. The damage was limited to the trash can and the floor. The damage estimate was approximately $600, according to the fire department.
A total of 11 firefighters, three police officers and one ambulance responded to the blaze. Fire personnel remained on scene for about 45 minutes to conduct their investigation and perform smoke removal.
The woman was treated at Emanuel Medical Center for smoke inhalation. She was not displaced from her residence, according to the fire department.
To contact Sabra Stafford, e-mail sstafford@turlockjournal.com or call 634-9141 ext. 2002.
Commenting is not available.

Share on Facebook Bookmark and Share
Commenting not available.

Please wait ...