View Mobile Site

Text Size: Smaller Larger Normal

Safety precautions kept fire from spreading through Turlock home

POSTED June 24, 2013 1:43 p.m.

A faulty table lamp is likely behind a fire that scorched a Turlock home, but quick responses from the homeowners kept the fire from spreading outside one room.

The fire was reported Saturday in the 2000 block of El Camino. Both homeowners were present when the fire ignited and no injuries were reported by the Turlock Fire Department.

After some investigation, the fire department determined the fire likely started from a faulty lamp socket or an incandescent light bulb failed. When the lamp was turned on, the spark caught the lamp shade on fire and spread to the carpet and a recliner before the homeowners were able to douse the flames with a portable dry chemical extinguisher.

The fire also caused minor smoke damage to the living room. The fire caused an estimated $5,000 in damage, according to the fire department.

The fire crews that responded remained at the home to assist the owners with the clean-up, including some dusting and vacuuming. Fire fighters changed the battery in the smoke detector in the living room and installed one in the couple’s bedroom, where none had been prior.

The fire department said this type of fire is a good reminder of why homeowners should have working smoke detectors and fire extinguishers in the home. The fire department said the homeowners’ reactions kept the fire from spreading to the rest of the home.

Smoke detectors should have batteries replaced every six months. The fire department advises that smoke detectors older than 10 years should be replaced.

 

Commenting is not available.

Share on Facebook Bookmark and Share
Commenting not available.

Please wait ...