View Mobile Site

Text Size: Smaller Larger Normal

Questions still remain a year after fatal shooting

Questions still remain a year after fatal shooting

Brandon Pacheco, 25, was shot to death on July 23, 2013, while allegedly trespassing on a Dianne Drive property.


POSTED July 22, 2014 6:24 p.m.

On July 23, 2013, the family of Brandon Pacheco learned the devastating news that the 25-year-old resident had been shot and killed.

One year later the family is still waiting for answers as to what happened that day.

Pacheco was shot in the head by Robin Boyer on the morning of July 23, 2013, in the 1100 block of Dianne Drive and died at the scene.

Boyer told Turlock Police detectives he spotted Pacheco on his property taking items and he confronted him. He said an altercation ensued and he fired his shotgun, striking Pacheco in the head.

Pacheco was found dead between a field of sweet potatoes and the fence line of the property next to Boyer’s.

Pacheco’s family has stated numerous times that the gunshot wound was to the back of his head, indicating the unarmed Pacheco was running away when shot.

No arrests in the case have been made to date. After a lengthy investigation the case was recently sent to the Stanislaus County District Attorney’s Office for review and they will determine if Boyer will face any criminal charges.

The Pacheco family has been advocating for criminal charges to be filed in the case. They have started a petition, Get Justice for Brandon Pacheco, on the Change.org website asking the district attorney’s office to hold Boyer accountable for Pacheco’s death. The petition currently has 345 signatures.

The family has also retained the services of Santa Monica-based attorney Arthur Lesmez to conduct an independent investigation into the shooting.

“Any family that has suffered a loss wants answers, whether it’s for closure or justice,” Lesmez said. “We are watching very closely as to what the Turlock Police Department and the district attorney’s office are going to do. We are anxiously awaiting their decision.”

Lesmez said the family has up to two years from the date of the incident to file a civil wrongful death suit against Boyer, if that is the course of action they decide to pursue.

“Right now, we are waiting and watching,” Lesmez said. “We have to do the right thing at the right time.”

 

 

Commenting is not available.

Share on Facebook Bookmark and Share
Commenting not available.

Please wait ...