View Mobile Site

Text Size: Smaller Larger Normal

Bad wires ignite house fire

POSTED July 14, 2009 6:41 p.m.

Faulty wiring sparked a fire in a Turlock residence that left 11 people displaced from their home.


The fire was reported at 6:17 p.m. Monday at 1013 Parnell Ave., according to the Turlock City Fire Department.


The fire department said the fire originated in the attic above a light fixture that was being replaced with a ceiling fan.


The electrical wires had been installed incorrectly, which caused a short and started the fire, said Battalion Chief Marc St. Pierre.
The short caused charring of several of the joists and the surrounding insulation.


The wiring in the attic was found to not be up to code, so the Turlock Irrigation District was contacted to shut off electricity to the house, St. Pierre said.


Seven adults and four children were displaced from the home and the Red Cross was contacted to provide temporary housing.


Ten firefighters responded to the fire and it took about 90 minutes to locate, extinguish, and overhaul the fire.


Damage was estimated at $2,000 to the property and $200 for contents.

Commenting is not available.

Share on Facebook Bookmark and Share
Commenting not available.

Please wait ...