View Mobile Site

Text Size: Smaller Larger Normal

Suspect arrested in 16 year old murder case

POSTED August 21, 2009 10:43 p.m.
A former Turlock resident suspected of shooting a man in 1993 was arrested Tuesday in Chicago after 16 years of living on the run.
Daniel Prado, 39, had been named as the prime suspect in the May 30, 1993, shooting death of 20-year-old Luis Cardenas, according to the Merced County Sheriff’s Department.
Prado had been living under an assumed name in Chicago and was arrested by the Chicago Police Department on Tuesday for an unrelated minor charge. His true identity was revealed, as was an outstanding arrest warrant from the Merced County Sheriff’s Department on suspicion of homicide.
On the day of the killing, Cardenas was at Winton Park around 3:30 p.m. He became involved in a fight with three other Latino men, one of whom was Prado, said sheriff’s department spokesman Deputy Tom MacKenzie.
According to statements later given by witnesses, Prado pulled a 20-gauge shotgun out of his vehicle and fired a single round at Cardenas. He was rushed to a hospital, but died from his wound.
Prado was initially questioned by detectives, but was released without charges. Further investigation led detectives to suspect Prado was the shooter and an arrest warrant was issued, but he had left the area and his whereabouts were unknown, MacKenzie said.
The Merced County Sheriff’s Department is planning to extradite Prado beck to Merced County to face homicide charges.
To contact Sabra Stafford, e-mail sstafford@turlockjournal.com or call 634-9141 ext. 2002.
Commenting is not available.

Share on Facebook Bookmark and Share
Commenting not available.

Please wait ...