Turlockers enjoyed 7-Eleven's free Slurpee Day on Monday. By 1 p.m. the 7-Eleven on Geer Road had handed out nearly 600 slurpees. 7-Eleven said it expected to hand out 5 million slurpees across the country. 7-Eleven gives out free slurpees each July 11th to commemorate the convenience chain's birthday. 7-Eleven began in Dallas in 1927.
Despite drops in monthly gas price comparisons, pump prices have started to rise a bit in many parts of California, putting the brakes on an early summer price slump. According to AAA, which tracks gas prices, all but one Northern California metro area tracked by the organization saw a double digit decrease at the pump over the past month.
July 12, 2011|
A crash involving three vehicles Tuesday afternoon backed up traffic at the corner of Lander and Greenway avenues, just south of Highway 99. According to Highway Patrolman A. Keller, a white car was traveling westbound on Greenway and ran a stop sign for an unknown reason. The car then struck a black Toyota, which was traveling northbound on Lander Avenue. The Toyota then spun and struck a black pickup truck heading south on Lander. There were no major injuries in the accident.
Homeowners along the planned route of the Turlock Irrigation District's new Hughson/Grayson 115 kilovolt transmission line were granted a brief reprieve from eminent domain proceedings Tuesday morning.
Dr. Marion and Chrissie Collins of Turlock designed the first MedicAlert emblem and bracelet 55 years ago after their daughter Linda experienced a near-fatal allergic reaction. Today, Linda's original bracelet is exhibited at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C. and the internationally-recognized MedicAlert emblem is worn by approximately 4 million people to alert emergency personnel to hidden medical conditions.
A large biomass fire near Tracy has prompted local air officials to issue a health cautionary statement for the northern counties of San Joaquin, Stanislaus and Merced, particularly the communities of Lathrop, Manteca and Modesto. The caution is in place until the fire is extinguished.