An overloaded electrical circuit ignited a fire that swept through a travel trailer Thursday afternoon in Turlock.
The fire was reported around 2 p.m. Thursday on West Syracuse Avenue, near Geer Road. No injuries were reported from the fire, according to the Turlock Fire Department.
The fire department received several calls reporting the fire.
“Smoke could be seen from miles away as firefighters arrived at the fully-engulfed trailer,” said Turlock Fire Chief Robert Talloni.
The 20-foot long travel trailer was parked next to a wooden garage, so the firefighters made a quick attack on the flames to keep them from spreading. The garage, along with two 30-pound propane cylinders mounted to the front of the trailer, were undamaged in the fire because of the rapid response, said Turlock Fire spokesman Kevin Tidwell.
A small spot fire was found in dry grass approximately 100 feet from the main fire and extinguished. As a precaution, crews sprayed down the surrounding area and a neighboring wood shake roof with water because of the hot, dry conditions and wind.
The Turlock Fire Department responded with the fire chief, two division chiefs, one battalion chief and three engine companies for a total of 13 personnel. Turlock Police assisted with traffic control.
Any inquiries or information regarding the investigation can be addressed by contacting the Fire Marshal at 669-2119.