Turlock Lake Road Race
Men’s Pro Race
1. Frank Spiteri, Marco Pro-Strava
2. Steve Reaney, California Giant Berry Farms
3. Kirk Carlsen, Chipotle
4. Uriy Urchenka, Third Pillar
5. Sinelnikau, Aliaksandr, Third Pillar
6. Martin Acosta, McGuire Cycling Team
7. Peter Taylor, California Giant Berry Farms
8. Kenny Strickland, SJBC
9. Peter Graf, Fremont Bank Cycling Team
10. Michael Jasinski, Fremont Bank Cycling Team
Women’s Pro Race
1. Jane Despas, Yahoo! Cycling Team
2. Emily Mathen
3. Jane Robertson, Metromint Cycling
4. Marley smith, Touchstone Climbing
5. Emily Thurston, Missing Link/3 rd Rail
6. Kira Prokopakis, Los Gatos
7. Jennie Phillips, Wells Fargo Racing Team
8. Kim Wik, Sycomp Racing
9. Lucia Mokres, Los Gatos
About 300 spectators attended the event, which, Bell said, hopes to gain more of an audience after having such a successful run this year.
“The support from the local businesses and the city of Turlock was incredible,” he added. “(If it weren’t for them), it wouldn’t have gone as well as it did.”
Next year, Bell said, the race hopes to become a two-day event and attract some 2,500-3,000 people, including racers and spectators, all to help boost the local economy.
“We hope to use this as an economic shot in the arm for Turlock,” Bell said.
Frank Spiteri of Marc Pro-Strava won the men’s pro race and Jane Despas of Yahoo! Cycling Team captured the women’s title. The race was a 26.7-mile loop around Turlock Lake, with the pros completing eight laps. The lower categories of racers did as little as 52 miles, as there were a total of eight races.
To contact Chhun Sun, e-mail email@example.com or call 634-9141 ext. 2041.