By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Sheriff releases camera footage of deputy-involved shooting
deputy involved shooting footage
This screenshot of video footage shot of the deputy-involved shooting that occurred May 5 in outskirts of Turlock shows the suspect charging at a deputy with a knife in his right hand (Photo courtesy of StanCo Sheriff’s Office).

The Stanislaus County Sheriff’s Department released new information, including body camera footage, from the deputy-involved shooting on May 5 that resulted in the death of a suspect in the outskirts of Turlock.

The suspect, identified as Kevin Frey, 44, was charging at a deputy with a knife in his hand when he was shot once. He was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The new information released on Friday includes the initial 911 call reporting a suspicious individual in the 3200 block of East Monte Vista Avenue. The male caller tells the 911 dispatcher that there is a man trespassing on his property and behaving oddly.

“I kicked him off my property twice,” the caller says to the dispatcher. “He’s up on my property up on Monte Vista up here. I don’t know if he’s on drugs or if he is drunk but he is just having a fit out here. And he also, I did notice, that he does have a knife on him too.”

The caller continued to state that the man had the knife in his right hand.

Deputy Rose arrived at the scene at 4:11 p.m. and made contact with Frey. Rose’s body camera shows he has his gun drawn but is trying to de-escalate the situation and bring it to a peaceful ending by having Frey drop the knife.

Frey ignores the orders to drop the knife repeatedly and then gets up and starts walking towards N. Quincy Road with his little dog in tow. Frey reaches the 3100 block of N. Quincy Road and takes a seat in someone’s front yard as other deputies take up positions around the area. Deputy Rose was about 50 feet from Frey and Deputies Larson and Darcia were approximately 100 feet away in the opposite direction.

During this time, Rose radios to dispatch that Frey put the knife in his backpack and that his hand is in the backpack.

A Turlock Police Department officer with a K9 arrived and took a position near Deputy Rose. The sheriff’s office had also called out for the Crisis Negotiations Team, which was enroute to the scene.

“Deputy Rose continued to try negotiating with Frey and repeatedly gave him instructions to drop the knife,” said Stanislaus County Sheriff Jeff Dirkse. “This lasted approximately 15 minutes. During that time Frey stated he had a firearm in his backpack and also threatened to stab Deputy Rose.”

Frey tells the deputy that he doesn’t want to drop the knife because he “feels safe with it” and to “shoot me [expletive].”

The deputy asks if there is anything he could do or say to make Frey drop the knife and Frey says there’s nothing and repeats his expletive taunt for the deputy to shoot him.

By this point, Frey wasn’t even willing to tell the deputy his name.

As this dialogue is going on, Frey keeps reaching into his backpack and doing something unseen to the deputies. Rose asks him what he is doing and Frey says he is cleaning his gun in his backpack. Frey then tells the deputy that he wants to die.

Deputy Rose hits upon an idea of asking Frey is he wants a bottle of water and Frey said that he did.

“What id I show you the bottle of water and you can show me if you can put down that knife?” Rose said to Frey.

Frey then tells the deputy that he is going to charge at him with the knife. He threatens to stab the deputy and says he’ll have to shoot him to stop him.

At 4:31 p.m. the deputies use their public address system to tell Frey that if he doesn’t drop the knife the K9 will be released and will bite him.

At this time, Frey stands up and starts walking towards Deputy Rose with the knife in his hand.

“Frey was able to cover 27 feet in eight seconds before Deputy Larson discharged his weapon,” Dirkse said.

Larson fired one shot and struck Frey, who fell to the ground still holding the knife. He’s still holding onto it as his little dog stands over his prone body. The deputies formulated a plan to move in to Frey behind a truck and once they reached him, they began administering first-aid.

Frey was pronounced deceased at 5:16 p.m. on May 5 at an area hospital.

The knife Frey had was recovered at the scene. There was no firearm found in his backpack, Dirkse said.

Frey had eight arrests between 1998 and 2004, according to the sheriff’s department. Four days prior to the incident, Frey had allegedly set fire to his apartment and was wanted on a warrant for felony arson.

Deputy Larson was placed on administrative duty. The Stanislaus County District Attorney’s Office is conducting an independent investigation and review into the officer involved shooting. The sheriff’s office is conducting an investigation into the incident and the Internal Affairs Unit is conducting their own administrative review to determine if agency policies were followed. All three investigations are ongoing.