The Carnegie Arts Center is celebrating its 10th anniversary season this year and to help spread the word, 18 students’ artwork is on display on banners in downtown Turlock.
Following a fire in 2005 that destroyed most of the original Carnegie building on N. Broadway, the CAC reopened its doors to the public on Sept. 10, 2011 after several years of planning and construction. For the past 10 years, the CAC has welcomed and served the community as a space to learn about and enjoy art, music, dance, theater, poetry and film – becoming a true gathering place for the sharing of ideas and experiences.
Part of the year-long celebration was the installation of banners on Main Street and Broadway featuring artwork created by youth. The banners all have a theme that celebrates the number 10 for the CAC’s first 10 years in its new building. Eighteen works by local students were selected from 148 entries following a month-long contest period in August.
“We were thrilled at the response to the contest and had so many creative and vibrant designs to choose from. I think everyone walking or driving through downtown Turlock will enjoy this infusion of color and fun to our streetscape,” said CAC Director Lisa McDermott.
Each winning artwork has been printed on two banners, resulting in a total of 36 banners that were hung on the street light poles in the downtown area. The contest and banners have been sponsored by the Greenery Nursery & Garden Shop, Robic Refrigeration and the Turlock Downtown Property Owners Association.
“All of the original 148 entries for the banner contest will be kept and included in the annual Ready, Set, Show! Youth Art Exhibition in June 2022. We plan to have a special section for the banner designs that will be part of the continuing anniversary celebration,” said McDermott.
The 18 students whose artwork was selected for display in downtown are:
· Alexis Aguiar, 8th grader, Hilmar Middle School
· Arabella Arias, 6th grader, Walnut Elementary
· Cristal Arredondo, 6th grader, Dutcher Middle School
· Brendyn Brockett, 8th grader, Hilmar Middle School
· Elin Callis, 2nd grader, Walnut Elementary
· Emily Edgerton, 6th grader, Walnut Elementary
· Mia Givargis, 6th grader, Walnut Elementary
· Logan Graham, 4th grader, Brown Elementary
· Cade Hackett, Kindergarten, Julien Elementary
· Isabella Khamo, 6th grader, Walnut Elementary
· John Lopez, 8th grader, Hilmar Middle School
· Danica Maldonado, 10th grader, Turlock High School
· Savannah McMullen, 6th grader, Walnut Elementary
· Carlos Reynoso, 8th grader, Hilmar Middle School
· Samira Salem, 6th grader, Walnut Elementary
· Cove Semmens, 1st grader, Hickman Charter School
· Summer Stricker, 6th grader, Walnut Elementary
· Allie Vickroy, 8th grader, Turlock Junior High