A poorly maintained irrigation system prevents water from reaching its intended source and instead is lost to runoff, evaporation and deep watering below the root zone. Maintaining your irrigation system is one of the most effective ways to minimize water waste, prevent pollution from run-off and over-irrigation, and improve plant health by applying the correct amount of water where it can be utilized by the landscape.
Ideally, irrigation systems should be checked on a monthly basis. However, a minimum check of the irrigation system should be performed twice, seasonally. Once at the beginning when the system is first turned on and again halfway through the season.
THE BASICS OF IRRIGATION MAINTENANCE ARE:
1. Inspect the controller and make sure it’s plugged in and functioning.
2. Update the time and date.
3. Check the connection on all of the wires – make sure that rain, wind, or soil moisture sensors are connected.
4. Replace the back-up battery.
5. Change the schedule to reflect the City of Turlock’s allowed watering days and times.
6. Turn on each zone and look for system damages such as: (a) Leaking valves or pipes (b) Broken or missing heads (c) Clogged nozzles (d) Seal leaks (e) Sunken heads (f) Tilted heads.
For questions or additional information, contact the Municipal Services Department at 209-668-5590 or visit the City of Turlock website at www.CityofTurlock.org. Brought to you by the City of Turlock Municipal Services Department.
CONSERVATION TIP #108
Don’t flush old or unused medications down the drain: Residents are encouraged to utilize the City of Turlock's free disposal service instead of the usual methods of disposal, such as flushing them down the toilet or throwing them away, which are hazardous and can pose health risks. Old, unused medications can be placed in a bin at the Turlock Public Safety Facility at 244 N. Broadway during regular business hours. Only prescription medications, in pill form or liquid, will be accepted. For the safety of Turlock police staff, do not place syringes in the drop-off box.