By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Parents behind on child support given a second chance
Placeholder Image
California parents who have had their drivers’ licenses revoked because of failure to pay child support might have the chance to get back on the road.  The California Department of Child Support Services and the Stanislaus County Department of Child Support Services are offering the “Get Back on the Road Again” program to parents who are willing to buy back their license.  
The program will be offered through the month of August, which is national child support awareness month. Noncustodial parents will be viewed on a case-by-case basis to determine whether they qualify to have their drivers’ licenses restored.
Parents will have to make a payment equal to one month of their child support obligation, make an additional payment of at least $25 towards overdue payments, and provide his or her current employment status and financial situation to be considered for a license re-instatement.
“We want to assist the noncustodial parent who may be having a tough time financially, but wants to do the right thing for his or her children,” said David Ingersoll, director of the Stanislaus County Local Child Support Agency.
Noncustodial parents who do not pay child support can lose not only a drivers license, but also any business license they hold in the state of California. That includes licenses held by doctors, lawyers, cosmetologists, contractors, and others. The state of California is offering re-instatement of professional and commercial licenses as part of the “Get Back on the Road Again” negotiation process. They cannot, however, give back any license that was revoked for any reason other than late child support payments.
Parents interested in having a license restored through the “Get Back on the Road Again” program can visit the Stanislaus County Department of Child Support Services at 251 E Hackett Rd. in Modesto. Parents will need to bring their latest pay stub or proof of their financial situation, a valid photo ID, and their suspension notice to start the negotiation process. More information can be found on the DCSS Web site at