Turlock teenager dies from stabbing
A week that saw teenagers celebrating graduations across the city ended in tragedy when Turlock Police detectives were called out to investigate the death of a 17-year-old who was fatally stabbed leaving a party.
Full Story
By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Blaze at Turlock home injures two people
An early morning fire at a Pioneer Avenue residence injured two people, but was brought under control before spreading to additional homes. - photo by Photo contributed by the Turlock Fire Department

Two people sustained minor injuries and a pet died from a house fire in Turlock Sunday morning.

The fire was reported at 3:30 a.m. Sunday at a residence on Pioneer Avenue. The first crews from the Turlock Fire Department to arrive found heavy smoke and flames coming from all the windows and vents in the home. Firefighters made entry into the home and found a fully involved attached garage fire with the flames breaching into other areas of the home.

Three residents of the home had escaped the flames, but two of them sustained minor injuries and smoke inhalation and were taken to a nearby hospital for treatment. The third resident was not injured.

Firefighters began attacking the blaze by cutting a ventilation hole on the roof and within 15 minutes they had the fire under control.

"Turlock City Firefighters used aggressive firefighting tactics coupled with skilled fire ground strategy to contain this residential structure fire. More than 700 feet of supply hose was used to reach the house located on a dead end street. Neighbors thanked the firefighters for their professional efforts to keeping the fire contained to the garage and not spreading to other buildings," said Turlock Fire Chief Robert Talloni.

Inside the home firefighters found the resident’s pet cat deceased.

A vehicle in the garage was completely charred in the fire.

In total four engines, one battalion chief, and the fire chief responded to the incident, for a total of 14 firefighters. The Turlock Rural Fire Department provided city coverage while all Turlock City resources were committed on the scene. 

The cause of the fire is currently under investigation.  

"I'm proud of our entire department's high level of skill," said Turlock Mayor Gary Soiseth. "These firefighters and engineers are constantly improving their ability to fight fires. Sunday morning's structure fire demonstrates the need for even more training, which is what the Council approved last Tuesday and what we will continue to support into the future."