By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Boxes next to food warmer causes Jack in the Box fire
Jack fire
Turlock City firefighters battle a kitchen fire at the Geer Road Jack in the Box on Friday night. - photo by KRISTINA HACKER / The Journal



The night crew working at the Geer Road Jack in the Box got a chance to use what they learned in safety training on Friday night when a fire broke out in the kitchen.

According to the Turlock City Fire Department, combustible cardboard food storage boxes kept too close to a food warmer was the cause of a fire that burned through the kitchen of the Geer Road restaurant at 10:33 p.m. Friday. The fire that originated with the boxes spread to the adjacent deep fryer and wall, causing an estimated $7,000 in damages. 

According to the restaurant's staff, when the fire suppression system in the kitchen did not put out the flames, the crew called the fire department while one manager grabbed a fire extinguisher to try and stop it from spreading.

"She got it out before it went it out of the kitchen," said Justine Urbina, a Jack in the Box crew member.

Urbina said there weren't very many customers in the restaurant when the fire broke out, but they did have to move along the line of cars in the drive-through lane.

Three engine companies and one battalion chief responded to the fire and it was under control within minutes of the fire department's arrival.

The fast food restaurant is still closed as of Tuesday for cleaning and repairs.

Although this was a commercial kitchen fire, the Turlock Fire Department urges everyone to practice fire safety in their own kitchens. For tips of home kitchen safety, visit