By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Cigarette fire chars shed
shed fire
A misplaced cigarette was the cause of a shed fire Wednesday in Turlock. - photo by Photo contributed by the Turlock Fire Department



A poorly placed cigarette ignited a fire inside a shed that generated enough heat to cause debris on the rooftop to start smoldering, according to the Turlock Fire Department.

The fire was reported at 5:17 p.m. Wednesday in a shed at 875 Alpha Road.

Upon arrival, Turlock firefighters found built-up leaves and pine needles smoking on the top of a metal storage shed behind the main residence. Turlock Fire personnel determined there had been a fire inside the metal shed, which in turn caused the pine needles and leaf litter to burn.

The occupant of the home was able to knockdown the fire inside the shed with a garden hose prior to the fire department’s arrival. Turlock firefighters extinguished the smoldering leaf litter on the roof, cleared the roof of all built-up vegetation, and completed extensive overhaul inside the shed, said Turlock Fire Department spokesperson Kevin Tidwell.

Three engines and one battalion chief responded to the incident, for a total of 10 personnel.

The cause of the fire was determined to be a discarded cigarette inside the shed.

“The Turlock Fire Department reminds the public to properly dispose of used cigarettes and always ensure that cigarettes, cigars, or pipes are completely extinguished before leaving a room,” Tidwell said.