By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Guest helps battle Turlock motel fire
A fire at the Venice Motel was quickly extinguished thanks in part to the quick reactions of a guest. - photo by SABRA STAFFORD/The Journal

A fire at a Turlock motel was kept from spreading to adjoining rooms by the quick reactions of a guest and a garden hose.

One person was displaced because of the fire. No injuries were reported.

The fire at the Venice Motel at 1114 N. Golden State Boulevard was first reported around 3 p.m. Tuesday by a guest who saw smoke coming out of a window from one of the motel rooms.

The guest called 911 and then grabbed a garden hose that was nearby and started spraying the fire through an open window, said Turlock Fire Department Battalion Chief David Bickle.

The first fire fighters to arrive at the scene found the front door open and were quickly able to douse the small fire, Bickle said.

The fire department believes the likely cause of the fire was from appliances used and stored next to some combustible items, including paper.

The occupant was not in the room at the time of the fire.

A total of four engines and 12 fire fighters responded to the site. The fire was brought under control in 11 minutes, though crews remained on scene for another hour and half to verify the fire had not spread to any adjoining rooms or through the ceiling, which included removing some of the wall and ceiling materials.

The room had minor damage from the fire, with most damage limited to surface charring and smoke staining.

The fire caused an estimated $5,000 in damage to the room and the occupant estimated about $2,000 worth of personal belongings and furnishings were lost, the fire department reported.

The fire department does encourage citizens to call 911 quickly for any fire, but does not recommend citizens put themselves in danger to fight a fire.