By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Turlock home damaged in kitchen fire
fire truck

A fire that swept through the kitchen of a Turlock residence Monday morning was deemed accidental, according to the Turlock Fire Department.

The fire was reported shortly before 9 a.m. Monday at a home in the 400 block of Pinewood Avenue.

The first fire crews to arrive found heavy smoke pouring out of both attic vents and they forced entry into the home. The kitchen was fully engulfed in fire and the flames were extending up to the attic, according to the fire department.

Firefighters cut a ventilation hole on the roof and were able to control the fire within 15 minutes.

The home sustained heavy fire damage in the kitchen area with smoke damage throughout the entire house. A damage estimate was not available. Crews were able to salvage some furniture and pictures on the walls.

The investigation into the blaze determined it was accidental. No one was at the home when the fire broke out.

“This fire could have been much worse,” said Turlock Mayor Gary Soiseth. “Our firefighters put into practice their ventilation training that allowed them to quickly extinguish the blaze. The crews deserve credit for not only limiting the damage to this home, but also for preventing its spread to neighboring structures.”

In total four engines, one Battalion Chief, and one Division Chief responded to the incident.