By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Two die in weekend collisions
Placeholder Image

The lives of two Turlock men were claimed at the start and end of the weekend in two separate vehicle collisions.

The two deceased were identified by the Stanislaus County Coroner’s Office as Jonathan Sanchez, 23, and Alonzo Ibarra, 24.

The first fatality happened around 2 p.m. Friday on Orange Blossom Road, east of Morrison Road near Knights Ferry.

Sanchez was driving a 2002 Kawasaki eastbound on Orange Blossom at a speed higher than the posted 45 mph speed limit, according to the California Highway Patrol.

A 2007 Chevrolet driven by Svietozak Sinkevich, 57, of Knights Ferry was headed westbound on Orange Blossom at an approximate speed of 35 mph.

Sanchez drove his motorcycle into a curve, crossing slightly over in to the other lane, just as the Chevrolet was approaching.

Sinkevich hit his brakes and steered to the right, away from the motorcyclist.

The CHP reported that Sanchez lost control of the bike and was thrown off it as it fell on to its side and slid across the westbound lane. Sanchez was struck by his motorcycle, the CHP stated.

Sanchez, who was wearing a helmet, was rushed to Doctors Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

Sinkevich was not injured in the crash.

Alcohol and drugs are not considered to be a factor in the collision.

The second accident happened around midnight Monday at a canal near Hallowell and Draper roads, southwest of Newman.

Ibarra was driving a 2002 BMW westbound on Hallowell with his passenger, Roberto Haro, 25, of Newman.

Ibarra was driving at an approximate 80 mph when he failed to stop the BMW at a posted stop sign at the T intersection and collided head on with the canal embankment.

The force of the impact flipped the BMW into the canal, where it came to rest in about five feet of irrigation water, according to the CHP.

Haro was able to free himself and escape the car through the shattered windshield. He attempted to free his friend, but was unsuccessful.

Haro was transported to Emanuel Medical Center with minor injuries. Ibarra was pronounced dead at the scene.

The collision remains under investigation.

To contact Sabra Stafford, e-mail or call 634-9141 ext. 2002.