By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Two Turlock fires injure one, displace five
Homes not equipped with working smoke detectors
3-4-15 high st2.png
A fire at 215 High Street Wednesday morning was ignited by an unattended candle and left five people displaced from their home. - photo by Photo contributed by the Turlock Fire Department

Turlock firefighters were kept busy Wednesday morning battling two house fires that injured one resident and left five others displaced from their home.

The first fire was reported to the Turlock Fire Department around 6 a.m. Wednesday at a home at 706 N. Broadway. The fire was first noticed by a Turlock police officer who saw smoke coming from the area.

The first firefighters arrived at the scene to find a fire burning inside a garage that had been converted into a small residence. The occupant was trying to douse the flames with a garden hose, but his efforts caused him to sustain an injury that required treatment at the scene by emergency medical technicians and a trip to Emanuel Medical Center, the fire department reported.

The fire was brought under control in about 15 minutes, but not before it did extensive damage to the inside of the converted garage. The damage to the residence was estimated at $45,000 and the estimated content loss was about $5,000, said Turlock Fire Battalion Chief Gary Carlson.

The cause of the fire was traced back to a match discarded while someone was smoking and was deemed accidental, Carlson said.

Crews remained on scene for about an hour. A total of 13 firefighters and four engines responded to the fire.

Firefighters responded to a second house fire at 9:55 a.m. Wednesday at 215 High Street.

The first crews on scene found the home fully ablaze and were told one person could possibly still be inside the home. The firefighters conducted a rapid search of the home, but found no one inside it, Carlson said.

The fire sent up large plumes of smoke and flames that were encroaching on a Turlock Irrigation District electricity pole. The firefighters were able to keep the fire contained to the building and had it under control in about 25 minutes. Total overhaul took about three hours, Carlson said.

A total of 14 personnel and four engines responded to the blaze that caused major damage to the home and left five people displaced. The damage was estimated at $125,000, Carlson said.

The fire was ignited by an unattended candle and was ruled accidental, Carlson said.

In both of the fires Red Cross stepped in to help the residence. The Turlock Rural Fire Department provided city coverage during the fires.

Neither of the residents had working smoke detectors.