A fire that ignited inside the engine compartment of a vehicle was quickly contained by Turlock fire fighters Tuesday night, keeping the blaze from the residence.
Shortly before 10 p.m. Tuesday the Turlock Fire Department was dispatched to a home in the 1900 block of Winter Haven Drive for a report of a residential fire.
The first fire fighters to arrive found a resident trying to put out a fire in the vehicle’s engine compartment with a garden hose. The engine compartment was fully ablaze and smoke was pouring out of the attached garage, said Turlock Fire Battalion Chief Gary Carlson.
The fire was under control in about five minutes, with crews remaining on scene for about an hour to make sure there were no flare ups.
Four engines initially responded to the site, but two were called off to handle other calls.
The fire appeared to be accidental. It caused major damage to the vehicle and smoke damage to the garage.
No injuries were reported.