By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Young girl dies four years after being paralyzed in Turlock crash
Genevieve Grayson was just 4-years-old when a collision at the intersection of Golden State Boulevard and Fulkerth Road left her paralyzed in 2017. She recently died (Photo contributed).

The young girl who was left completely paralyzed and reliant on a ventilator after the vehicle she was riding in was broadsided by a speeding car on Golden State Boulevard in 2017, has died her family reported.

Genevieve Grayson, who was known to family and friends as GG, died after she was found unconscious on May 24, according to her aunt, Shawntee James.

GG was just 4-years-old when a collision sent her life onto a completely different path.

On the afternoon of March 29, 2017, Shawnta Lynnell was driving her Volvo with her daughters — Genevieve, 4, and Gia, 13 months — and was making a left turn from Fulkerth Road onto Golden State Boulevard when the vehicle was broadsided by an Acura driven by Jorge Tello of Delhi.

The Turlock Police Department’s Major Accident Investigation Team classified the incident as a criminal investigation after reviewing video footage from the vantage point of the businesses near the intersection. The video shows the Acura traveling at a high rate of speed and broadsiding the Volvo. The Volvo spun several times before striking a Toyota pickup stopped for the red light at Golden State Boulevard.

Both girls were in child safety seats, but still sustained serious injuries that necessitated the use of two Medi-Flight helicopters. GG sustained a permanent spinal cord injury and Gia sustained a head injury from the crash. Lynnell was also injured, but was released from the hospital soon after the collision.

Tello pled guilty in 2018 to felony reckless driving causing serious injuries. He was sentenced to a three-year prison sentence that was ordered suspended if he completed five years of probation. He also was ordered to serve 60 days in jail and pay restitution.

The spinal cord injury left GG completely paralyzed and reliant on a ventilator for breathing.

"Some people are able to handle their lives being flipped upside down," GG's mother Shawnta' Lynnell wrote on her Facebook page. "This life wasn’t for GG she tried and kept a smile on her face because of all of us. She knew the joy she brought to other people’s life. She knew her smile made other people smile. She knew her overcoming obstacles motivated others. She knew every day she gave someone hope that things will be okay and that your life is not over."

"GG was a true angel on earth," James wrote. "She loved school, singing, fashion, spending time with her family, but most of all she loved playing with her little sister Gia. She was so bright and accomplished what many thought she couldn’t in her predicament. My family is beyond devastated and this has been a nightmare for the past 4 years, but we truly appreciate the time we had with her on earth."

In her final act, some of GG's organs were donated to save the lives of others, according to her mother.

A GoFundMe account was started to help the family pay for the funeral and burial expenses. It can be found at

Any funds left over after the funeral expenses will go towards a foundation in GG's memory to educate people about the dangers of speeding and promoting safe driving practices.