110th Annual Ojai Valley Tennis Tournament
• Katie Eng (Stanislaus) vs. Katie Thaxton (The Master's College), 8 a.m.
• No. 11 Vanesa Reibstein (Stanislaus) vs. Courtney Ringler (The Master's College), 8 a.m.
• No. 6 Verena Preikschas (Stanislaus) vs. Cecila Vergnet (Grand Canyon), 9:30 a.m.
Round of 32 matches beginning at 11 a.m.
• No. 7 Katie Eng-Verena Preikschas (Stanislaus), BYE
Round of 16
• Eng-Preikschas (Stanislaus) vs. Ringler-Thaxton (The Master's College), 3:30 p.m.
Three matches will be against some of the best collegiate players to participate in the 110th annual Ojai Valley Tennis Tournament. The Warriors are entered in the independent competition against other Division II, III and NAIA student-athletes, with the event starting on Thursday.
Verena Preikschas is the overall No. 6 seed in single competition as she opens up on Thursday against Grand Canyon's Cecila Vergent in the lower half of the bracket. Also in the lower half of the 64-player draw is No. 11 Vanesa Reibstein of Stanislaus, who will face Courtney Ringler of The Master's College.
Stanislaus’ Katie Eng will also take on a player from The Master's College Thursday morning with a match against Katie Thaxton.
Last year, Preikschas advanced to the quarterfinals before dropping in three sets to Point Loma Nazarene's Kristin Strimple, who again is the No. 1 seed this year.
In doubles competition, Preikschas and Eng are entered as the No. 7 seed. After a first-round bye, they will have a match Thursday afternoon against Ringler and Thaxton. In 2009, the Warriors' top duo lost in the semifinals to a team from Fresno Pacific.
The Warriors are familiar with Ringler and Thaxton as CSUS’ No. 2 doubles team of Reibstein and Brianna McClintock beat them, 8-0, at the Matador Intercollegiate Invitational last November.