By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Candle cause of fire
Placeholder Image

A fire that swept through the living room of a Minaret Avenue home was determined to have been caused by an unattended candle.

The candle was left burning on the arm of a couch, which ignited and spread through the living room, said Turlock City Fire Capt. Scott Wejmar.

The fire department kept the flames from burning through the whole house. The damage, which was estimated at $80,000, was limited to the living room and the attic. The fire was brought under control in 15 minutes.

The fire in the 1000 block of Minaret Avenue was reported at 12:48 p.m. Friday by a neighbor who saw smoke and flames coming out of the house.

None of the four residents were at the home when the fire broke out, according to the fire department. An occupant’s cat died from smoke inhalation.

Three engines responded to the fire and crews stayed on scene for five hours to extinguish all the hot spots and for the fire investigation.

Three of the residents went to stay with a relative and one was assisted by the Red Cross.