By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Suspect leads police on long chase

A 39-year-old Turlock man was arrested Feb. 29 after he led Ceres Police on a lengthy highspeed chase through Ceres and Hughson before it ended in the rural area.   

Salvador Ramos of Turlock was eventually booked at the Stanislaus County Public Safety Center on charges of felony evading police, being a felon in possession of ammo, DUI, destruction of evidence, possession of methamphetamine, possession of drug paraphernali, and selling and transporting marijuana.   

The incident began at 1:16 a.m. when Ceres Police Officer Kevin Sakasegawa spotted a pickup he believed being driven by a drunk driver in downtown Ceres. He followed the pickup as it ran all the stop signs up Fourth Street before turning eastbound onto Whitmore Avenue. When the officer attempted a traffic stop Ramos accelerated out of town, reaching 100 mph past Faith Home Road.

The pursuit went into Hughson where the vehicle hit the railroad tracks so fast that it became airborne. Ramos continued speeding through Hughson running stop signs and the red light at Whitmore Avenue and Geer Road. Ramos turned off his headlights as he continued down Whitmore and onto southbound Berkeley Avenue. He nearly lost control and slid in a half circle striking a tree with the rear of the vehicle.

As Officer Sakasegawa approached the vehicle Ramos tried to accelerate but officers blocked him in. Ramos gave up and was taken into custody.    

Ramos had red watery eyes, slurred speech and had slow motor skills. The interior of the vehicle was covered in marijuana residue. Officers located a pipe inside the driver door pocket with methamphetamine inside, two small scales, several small plastic baggies and an open small lunch box filled with marijuana. Police believe Ramos was selling the marijuana.   

During questioning Ramos suggested he might have blacked out from high blood pressure and did not remember being pursued by police. He did, however, admit drinking a “tall can of Corona” before driving.   

Ramos conducted a field sobriety test and appeared under the influence of an alcoholic beverage. When he was given a choice of an evidentiary blood or breath test Ramos became upset and admitted to smoking marijuana prior. Ramos said he would take the blood test because his last attorney who defended him for his prior DUI told him to do so.

Ramos was transported to Doctors Medical Center for the blood draw.