By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Teen stabbed at Turlock High
Suspect in custody
Parents sign their children out of class on Friday following a stabbing on campus. - photo by ANGELINA MARTIN/The Journal

A Turlock High School student was critically injured in a stabbing on campus, carried out by another student, who is now in custody, according to the Turlock Police Department.

The male victim, whose age is unknown, was taken by air ambulance to a trauma center with multiple stab wounds. The injuries were considered life-threatening, according to the police department.

Around 9 a.m. Friday the school resource officer at THS was notified over the radio of an assault between two students and was needed immediately at the office.

“She ran to the office and discovered they had called 911 to report a stabbing that occurred on the other side of campus,” said Turlock Police Lt. Neil Cervenka. “She sprinted to that location, where she found one injured subject with a hand injury that was being transported by a school employee. She quickly determined that he was the suspect in the stabbing and took him into custody without incident.”

The victim was found nearby and he had sustained multiple stab wounds. An air ambulance was called to the scene for transport. The teen was in stable condition, according to the police department.

Students took cell phone videos of the incident. In one video shared with the Turlock Journal, the two teens are seen struggling with one another, and then the suspect started stabbing the boy. The boy tries to run away, but the suspect was holding onto his shirt. At one point the suspect is seen forcefully stabbing the boy in the back.

The boy is able to break away from the suspect and runs away with blood streaming down his face and soaking his torn shirt.

The suspect chases after the boy but is stopped by a staff member who approached him calmly and started talking to him, putting a reassuring hand on his shoulder. The video stops at that point.

There is no known motive for the attack.

The school was placed on lockdown. The majority of that time was for investigators to process the crime scene and evidence, Cervenka said.

“What’s important is within moments of the incident, the SRO had the suspect in custody, and the rest of the school was safe,” Cervenka said.

The suspect was booked into Juvenile Hall on a charge of attempted homicide.