On Tuesday, the Turlock City Council:
• Began the process to refinance two issuances of sewer revenue bonds, from 1999 and 2003, to take advantage of lower interest rates. The refinancing would save the City of Turlock approximately $4 million dollars in debt service payments.
• Held a moment of silence in honor of the victims of the theatre shooting in Aurora, Colo.
• Accepted annual reports on each Turlock Lighting, Landscaping and Street Maintenance Benefit area, levying annual assessments.
• Received a special briefing from the new Interim President of California State University, Stanislaus, Joseph Sheley. Sheley said he has been enjoying meeting with the community, and looks forward to students' return. He said he will work to position the university to receive better funding, and to endure low budget years.
• Heard a staff update on the Amateur Softball Association of America's 16-Under & 18-Under B Fastpitch Western Nationals Softball Tournament, which will be held in Turlock from Monday through Aug. 4. More than 35 teams have registered for the tournament, some from as far away as Hawaii.
The Turlock City Council's regularly scheduled meeting will begin at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Yosemite Room of Turlock City Hall, 156 S. Broadway.