The Valley Air Basin will be in an Air Alert episode from Monday to Wednesday, and air district officials are urging residents to spare the air when out and about in the community.
Air Alert episodes are called when conditions may lead to ozone formation that results in exceeding health-based ozone standards and federal penalties assessed on the area. There are steps residents and businesses can take to prevent this. Reducing vehicle use is an important way to reduce these emissions.
Residents can reduce their vehicle use to minimize smog-forming emissions by:
• Carpooling or vanpooling
• Using alternative transportation including bicycling, walking and mass transit
• Linking trips (doing all your errands at once)
• Eliminating vehicle idling
• Reducing your vehicle trips
Businesses can help reduce workplace-centered emissions by:
• Becoming a Healthy Air Living Partner.
• Ordering lunch in to eliminate the need for employees to drive during lunch.
• Offering scheduling flexibility to reduce commute-time traffic.
• Making telecommuting available to employees.
For more information about Air Alerts visit www.valleyair.org.