Although it is still a couple months away, Turlock Certified Farmers Market manager Derek Griffin is already looking forward to Kid's Day in August.
Just like previous years, Griffin reports that this year's themed market will host a myriad of activities for the younger crowd, including visits from the Turlock Fire Department and Turlock Police Department, mascots, face painting, live music and a petting zoo.
However, Griffin is still taking advantage of the time he has until the kid-themed market to plan new and different activities for this year.
"Kids' Day has always been one of our most popular markets because we have a lot of kid activities going on, including fire trucks, balloon twisters and llamas," said Griffin. "People just really seem to enjoy coming down each year for it."
Kid's Day at the TCFM is scheduled for 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Aug. 1. For kids looking to do something fun in the meantime, check out these other summer activities:
• Recreation Swim: The City of Turlock will host recreational swim hours at three pools throughout Turlock. Columbia Pool will open on Saturday and run 12:15 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and noon to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. The pool will be closed on Fridays. Both Turlock High and Pitman High schools' pools will open to the public from Monday until July 30. Hours are 12:15 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Recreation swim costs $2 for adults over 18 years of age and $1 for youth up to 17 years of age.
• Aquatic Playgrounds: Make a splash at two aquatic playgrounds, located at Broadway Park, 501 N. Broadway, and Columbia Park, 600 Columbia Street. Both aquatic playgrounds will be open from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. until Sept. 7. A mobile aquatic chair is available upon request. Call 668-5594 in advance to make arrangements for use.
• Summer Movie Express: Regal Turlock Stadium 14 is hosting $1 movies all summer long, with titles including "How to Train Your Dragon 2," "The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water," and "The Lego Movie." Admission to Summer Movie Express is only $1 and all movies start at 10 a.m. To see the full movie schedule, visit regmovies.com/movies/summer-movie-express.
• Hilmar Cheese Company Ice Cream Tours: Hilmar Cheese invites the community to make their own ice cream during their summer tours. Tours start at 11 a.m. Monday through Friday. No tour will be provided on July 4. Tour admission is $3 and guests are required to sign up at the Peet's Espresso counter after 10:45 a.m. Those interested are encouraged to make reservations for groups of 10 or more by calling 656-1196.
• Rec-on-Wheels: With this year welcoming two extra hours, Rec-on-Wheels is a mobile recreation program that will delight participants with more than just an average trip to the park. At no cost, the mobile program will provide activities, including arts and crafts materials and equipment for physical activities, at three different parks in Turlock. From 10 a.m. to noon through Aug. 7, Rec-on-Wheels will be at Donnelly Park on Mondays, Broadway Park on Wednesdays and Columbia Park on Fridays.