By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Pitman boys polo top GV, 10-8, in contested match
Pitman boys 1
Ryan Canisso of Pitman attempts a shot during the first period of Wednesday's win over Golden Valley. - photo by EDDIE RUIZ / The Journal

The Pitman Pride varsity boys’ water polo team might have defeated Golden Valley, 10-8, in Wednesday's home contest but the ending was one that head coach Colin Wenstrand said he had never witnessed before in over a decade of coaching.

“It was a first time experience and I am disappointed with how it turned out,” said Wenstrand.

It was a win, but not a satisfying victory for the Pride.  So much, that the coaches for GV decided to protest the contest after clock mismanagement of five seconds with about 2:39 on the clock, or 2:34, remaining in the fourth period.

At that point, Pitman led by three goals but there was two results, the one that was supposed to happen if there was no protest in the end, and finally the result that happened.

As the game resumed with the first result prior to the do-over, Pitman allowed GV to get back into the game after playing very conservative on both sides, which resulted in three transition goals scored by GV in a two minute span.

After a clutch goal for GV with 25 seconds remaining to tie it at 10-10, Dylan Canisso of Pitman went on to attempt a shot in the middle of a double team but missed it and then GV was able to call timeout before their final possession.

However, the head coach for GV spoke with the officials for several minutes.

The delayed chat, along with a power outage of the scoreboard, made for an interesting finish that dragged on longer than expected.

Once the chat concluded, the officials were forced to follow through on the protest made by GV about the five seconds remaining, which then resulted in a do-over. Essentially meaning everything which happened after 2:39 was erased, all of it.

The actual or official result, for the time being, read 10-7 with 2:39 and the match finally resumed after a lengthy postponement.

This time, it looked as if Pitman had a second chance to right their wrongs from their first attempt of securing the win, and it worked for them in the end.

GV attempted to execute the same game plan, but this time it didn't work as easily with the little momentum they had except for the quick score with 2:23 left to make it 10-8.

From there on, the Cougars attempted a shot with 1:29 left but missed it and followed with a penalty shot miss at 1:11 and the Pride were looking good in the final minute with a two-goal lead.

“Our guys played hard but we need to put together four quarters every game, it's something we struggled with,” said Wenstrand.

In the closing minute, the Pride's defense held their ground, allowing just a single goal in the fourth, and three in the second half altogether.

Their offense went off, scoring seven second half goals. Dylan Canisso notched a team-high five goals for the game.

“Fundamentals is what we need to work on, missing often with the opportunities. We need better communication on both sides of the ball, offense and defense.”

Pitman's next game will be on the road against Merced at 6 p.m. Monday.