Sac-Joaquin Section Division I first round
Turlock 9, Tracy 0
1. Scott Gray (Turlock) d. Zuhaib Farooqui 6-2,6-2
2. Trevor Purdy (Turlock) d. Niraj Punjya 6-2, 6-4
3. Mike Lazar (Turlock) d. Christopher Pope 6-2, 7-6
4. Alex Wolski (Turlock) d. Michale Adams 6-3, 2-6, 7-6 tie breaker 7-2
5. Nathan Potter (Turlock) d. Anthony Klassen 6-2, 6-2
6. Jaime Smith (Turlock) d. Himanahu Arora 6-0, 6-1
1. Bryce Brenda/Brandon Purdy (Turlock) d. Laqshqa Taneja/Danville Camegla 6-3, 6-0
2. Grayson Blakeley/ Kevin Harris (Turlock) won by default
3. Morley Baker/Eric Smith (Turlock) d. Anmol Bhanga/Tommy Langey 6-2, 6-0
Pitman 6, St. Mary's 3
1. Michael Davis (Pitman) d. Michael Bottke 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
2. Brandon James d. Morcos Boutros (Pitman) 6-4, 6-4
3. Tiki Brown (Pitman) d. Michael Martini 6-2, 7-5
4. Jacob Belloli (Pitman) d. Jake Mireles 6-2, 6-2
5. Alex Leven (Pitman) d. Brandon McCarthy 4-6, 6-0, 6-3
6. Addison Beach d. Dylan Weddle (Pitman) 7-5, 3-6, 6-0
1. Andy Lin/Carter Blakely d. Jason Moitoso/Brandon Hamby (Pitman) 7-6, 5-7, 6-4
2. Brach Malke/Luis Velasquez (Pitman) d. Gus Bernadicon/Sam Shive 6-3, 6-3
3. Skyler Sexton/Zach Osborne (Pitman) d. Daniel Hobbs/Matt Martini 6-3, 6-4
One local boys tennis team smothered the opponent, while the other had a tougher time.
That pretty much summed up Monday's Sac-Joaquin Section Division I matches for Turlock High and Pitman High, respectively. But both teams came out with the same outcome: victory.
The Bulldogs dominated Tracy High 9-0 at the Turlock High tennis courts, winning every set except for one. And that was in the No. 4 singles, in which Alex Wolski endured a thrilling three-set battle and prevailed 6-3, 2-6, 7-6. The other matches seemed routine for Turlock, the No. 1 seed in the Central California Conference, judging by the scores.
Other singles winners include Scott Gray, Trevor Purdy, Mike Lazar, Nathan Potter and Jaime Smith. In doubles, Bryce Brenda/Brandon Purdy and Morley Baker/Eric Smith played to victories, while Grayson Blakely/Kevin Harris settled for forfeits.
In Stockton, the visiting Pride, the No. 2 seed in the CCC, managed to pull off a 6-3 upset over St. Mary's High, the No. 1 team in San Joaquin Athletic Association.
They got key wins from Michael Davis, Tiki Brown, Jacob Belloli and Alex Leven in the singles division, while the duos of Brach Malke/Luis Velasquez and Skyler Sexton/Zach Osborne came away with triumphs in doubles.
Both Pitman and Turlock will continue on Thursday, when the second round of the D-I playoffs take place. At press time, their opponents were unknown except that the matches begin at 3:30 p.m.
To contact Chhun Sun, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 634-9141 ext. 2041.