By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Business-required recycling programs
Placeholder Image

State law requires businesses and multi-family residences (with five or more units) that meet certain disposal thresholds, to separate organic material and recyclables from regular waste disposal.  Businesses types include commercial or public entities such as schools, hospitals, stores, restaurants, industrial businesses, for-profit and nonprofit organizations, and others.

Organic waste includes the following material: food waste, green waste, landscape and pruning waste, nonhazardous wood waste, and food-soiled paper waste that is mixed in with food waste. These organic materials account for nearly one-third of the approximately 30 million tons of waste destined for California’s landfills each year. Multi-family dwellings are only required to recycle their green (yard) waste, and are not required to separate recycling food waste, including food-soiled paper.

The City of Turlock has individual recycling totes available to MultiFamily Residential Units for free, provided upon request. To take advantage of this service, contact the Municipal Services Department at (209) 668-5590 or email (maximum provided up to the number of total units at your location). This program is on a first-come, first-served basis and the City has limited inventory.

To assist businesses with compliance, the City’s contracted waste hauler, Turlock Scavenger and Recycling Company, offers collection services for both recyclables and organic material.  To sign up for service, businesses should call (209) 668-7274.  

For more information on the Mandatory Commercial Recycling and/or Organics Recycling requirements, visit the City of Turlock’s website at or Turlock Scavenger and Recycling Company’s website at Brought to you by the City of Turlock Municipal Services Department.


Only rain down the storm drains: If you have witnessed anything other than rain water entering a storm drain, please report it to the City of Turlock's Municipal Services Department by either calling (209) 668-5590 or filling out the online “Report Water Pollution” form which can be found at: