By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Water conservation legislation: SB 606 & AB 1668
The Turlock City Council is set to consider implementing a penalty of $25 for those single-family residential water customers whose water use exceeds 40,000 gallons per month. - photo by Photo Contributed

California is determined to make water conservation a way of life. In 2018, two laws were passed to aid in this effort: SB 606 and AB 1668. These two laws highlight water efficiency and conservation and are meant to outline certain roles and actions to be carried out by the California Department of Water Resources, the State Water Resource Control Board and water suppliers.

The state is still in the early planning stages of these laws, and they are not set to go into effect until 2023. As we prepare for the future, here are some facts should know about SB 606 and AB 1668:

· These laws do not set limits on personal water use. They set mandates for water suppliers to use when budgeting and planning for efficiency.

· The 55 gallons per person, per day standard for indoor residential water use is not intended as an enforceable standard for individuals. It is only used to help water suppliers calculate the overall efficiency standard for their service area.

· There is no law against showering and doing laundry in the same day. Individuals are not held to any specific standard for water use; it will fall on the water supplier to meet specific targets.

· Any fines issued for not meeting the specified cumulative standard will be issued to the water supplier, not the individual.

For questions or additional information, contact Municipal Services at (209) 668-5590 or visit the City of Turlock website at: Brought to you by the City of Turlock Municipal Services Department.



Only rain down the storm drains: If you have witnessed anything other than rain water entering a storm drain, please report it to the City of Turlock's Municipal Services Department by either calling (209) 668-5590 or filling out the online “Report Water Pollution” form which can be found at: