By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Cigarette, oxygen tank blamed for fire
Placeholder Image

Two people were injured from a fire that officials say was sparked by a person smoking while using an oxygen tank.

One victim suffered burns to his face, as well as smoke inhalation, and had to be flown to a burn unit at Davis Medical Center.

The second victim suffered smoke inhalation problems and was treated at Emanuel Medical Center.

The Turlock City Fire Department determined that the fire was started when an occupant lit up a cigarette “while using an assisted breathing oxygen tank causing the compressed gas to ignite.”

The fire was reported around 12:30 p.m. Wednesday at a home at 3745 N. Olive Ave.

The two occupants at the home were able to use a garden hose to keep the fire from spreading. The damage was estimated at $600, according to the fire department.

There were a total of 15 firefighters at the scene and the fire was completely out within minutes.

To contact Sabra Stafford, e-mail or call 634-9141 ext. 2002.