By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
HVAC fire reported at Turlock Walmart
Placeholder Image

A fire inside a heating and air conditioning vent was discovered Thursday morning at the Turlock Walmart and prompted an evacuation of the store.

Around 8 a.m. Thursday the Turlock Fire Department was dispatched to the Walmart at 2111 Fulkerth Rd. for a report of a potential structure fire at the store.

The first firefighters to arrive at the scene found light smoke coming from HVAC vents inside the store.

“Due to the size of the building and the number of HVAC units with potential involvement, multiple crews were needed to rapidly determine the source of the smoke,” Turlock Fire spokesman Kevin Tidwell said in a news release.

Crews were able to track the smoke to a small fire burning in an HVAC unit on the roof of the store.

“The fire was quickly extinguished and overhauled and Walmart management staff worked closely with Turlock Fire crews to ensure the store was safe and suitable to reopen for business,” Tidwell said.

The entire operation left the store closed for about two hours.

There were no injuries reported from the incident.

The Turlock Fire Department responded to the incident with three engine trucks, the squad truck and a battalion chief. Turlock Rural Fire Department provided city coverage during the incident.