By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
HVAC unit blamed for apartment fire
fire truck

A fire that is believed to have started in a heating and air conditioning unit charred a closet inside a downtown Turlock apartment.

Around 2 p.m. Thursday the Turlock Fire Department was dispatched to a four unit apartment building at 355 E. Olive Ave. for the report of smoke coming from a closet in one of the units.

The first crews to arrive at the scene found a small fire in a closet and crawlspace in one of the lower units, said Turlock Fire Battalion Chief Gary Carlson.

The fire was brought under control in about 15 minutes and confined to a small area, Carlson said.

The fire department said the fire was accidentally ignited in the apartment’s HVAC unit. The residents stated they had smelled burning plastic for a few days prior to the fire.

The damage from the fire was estimated at $1,000.

Four residents were left without utilities at the site and were assisted by the Red Cross.