By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Ceiling fan ignites house fire
fire pic
A fire at a home on N. Olive is believed to have started in a ceiling fan. - photo by Photo contributed by Turlock Fire Department

A fire believed to have started in a bathroom ceiling fan caused extensive damage to a Turlock residence Monday morning.

The occupants were able to get out of the home uninjured, but have been displaced because of the fire, according to the Turlock Fire Department.

The fire was first reported at 4:15 a.m. Monday at a home in the 2600 block of N. Olive Avenue. The fire was first noticed by one of the home’s occupants, who awoke to smoke detector sounding, said Turlock Fire Acting Battalion Chief Mike Harcksen.

The first fire fighters to arrive found heavy smoke and flames coming from the roof of the home. The crews took an aggressive stance and were able to keep the fire from spreading to the entirety of the home.

The point of origin for the fire was determined to be a bathroom ceiling fan that had been left running for an undetermined amount of time.

A total of four engines with 13 fire personnel were on scene. It took about 15 minutes to bring the fire under control, with complete overhaul and salvage lasting a little more than two hours.

The two residences had to find temporary housing because of the smoke and fire damage, according to the fire department.

The fire department reminds people to turn off appliances when not in use to prevent overheating.