By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Trial ordered for two in connection to Turlock mans murder
Devenae Price
Devenae Price

A Stanislaus County Superior Court judge has ordered two men to stand trial on charges related to the fatal shooting of a Turlock man in April.

Devenae Price, 25, of Ceres is charged with homicide and Kevin Barnes, 19, is charged with being accessory in the murder of 37-year-old Falane Jones.

Jones was with his uncle at the Villas Parkside Apartments at 381 W. Hawkeye Avenue on the night of April 23. Shortly before 10 p.m., the pair where in the parking lot of the apartment complex when a black car pulled in and the driver opened fire at Jones.

Jones was struck four times in the face, chest and neck. He was rushed to a nearby hospital, where he died from his injuries.

Turlock Police investigators were able to obtain witness statements that provided them with a description of the vehicle and the suspects, but a motive for the homicide was not evident.

A search of the area was conducted in the immediate aftermath of the shooting, but the suspects were not located until a few days later in Alameda County.

An Alameda County Sheriff’s deputy was attempting to stop a vehicle for a traffic violation when the driver, later identified as Price, sped away. The vehicle pursuit came to an end when Price crashed the Lexus into a home and he and the three passengers ran from the scene.

A perimeter was established in the San Leandro neighborhood and Price, along with Kelley Trezvant, 18, of Modesto and Deandranae Campbell, 19, of Livingston were taken into custody. The third passenger was not located at that time.

It was after the arrests that information began to develop about the homicide, leading the sheriff’s department to contact Turlock Police Department investigators.

A gun and two spent shell casings were found inside the Lexus. The shell casings matched two other shell casings recovered at the Turlock scene, according to court records.

Trezvant and Campbell were initially charged with being accessories after the fact, but the charges were later dismissed.

Barnes was apprehended May 1 when he was stopped by a San Francisco police officer for an unrelated matter. Barnes initially provided that agency with a false name, but during the course of their investigation, they determined Barnes was a wanted person by the Turlock Police Department.

The two men remain in custody at the Stanislaus County Jail. They are scheduled for a formal arraignment Jan. 18.