A Turlock firefighter sustained a first degree burn and a dog bite while responding to a vegetation fire Tuesday afternoon.
The fire was reported to the Turlock Fire Department at 3 p.m. Tuesday in the 1200 block of Fifth Street.
The first firefighters to arrive at the scene found flames had raced across about two acres of vegetation and spread to a residential structure, said Turlock Fire spokesman Capt. Jason Bernard.
There were no occupants inside the residence, however, three dogs were located inside the home and removed to safety.
One firefighter was bitten by one of the dogs while moving it out of the home and sustained a first-degree thermal burn due to radiant heat, Bernard said.
The firefighter was quickly assessed and treated by American Medical Response and then returned to the fire ground.
None of the dogs incurred injuries or burns during the rescue.
“Multiple units were on scene fighting the grass fire while numerous additional units were in offensive mode aggressively attacking the structure fire,” Bernard said. “It was quickly determined to be a fully involved attic fire spreading throughout the residence.”
Interior crews made entry into the structure once “two in, two-out” was in place to rapidly extinguish the fire.
While battling the blaze, firefighters noticed electrical wires were arcing between two residences. All emergency personnel were advised through emergency radio traffic and the area was secured to prevent any injuries.
The Turlock Fire Department responded with three engines, Squad 32, a battalion chief, the fire marshal, and Chief 2. Mutual aid agreements also brought out Ceres Fire, Stanislaus County Consolidated Fire, Keyes Fire Department, Turlock Rural Fire, Denair Fire, and Mountain View Fire to account for approximately 19 fire units and 40 firefighters.
The Turlock Police Department provided traffic control and animal services assisted with the dogs and documented the bite the firefighter incurred.