By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fireplace fire spreads into apartment
Placeholder Image

Burning logs left unattended in a fireplace rolled out and ignited a fire in an upstairs Turlock apartment Monday morning.

No injuries were reported from the fire however, the occupant was completely unaware of the blaze because there were no working smoke alarms in the residence and she was asleep. The woman escaped from her burning apartment after a downstairs neighbor noticed the smoke and alerted her to the danger.

The fire at 3420 Rochester Court began when fire logs rolled out of the fireplace and started burning through the floor under the fireplace, the Turlock Fire Department reported.

The flames had spread into the crawl space between the first and second floors by the time the fire department was notified.

The fire was brought under control in 30 minutes and crews spent an additional two hours checking for fire extension into the attic, chimney and crawl space, according to the fire department. Three engine companies and 10 personnel responded to the scene.

The fire caused moderate damage to the upstairs apartment and the estimated dollar loss to the structure and contents was put at $7,500.