By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fryer fire clears out Geer Road Jack in the Box
Jack fire
Turlock City firefighters battle a kitchen fire at the Geer Road Jack in the Box on Friday night. - photo by KRISTINA HACKER / The Journal

The night crew working at the Geer Road Jack in the Box got a chance to use what they learned in safety training on Friday night when their fryers caught on fire.

According to the restaurant's staff, the fryers caught on fire around 10 p.m. Friday. When the fire suppression system in the kitchen did not put out the flames, the crew called the fire department while one manager grabbed a fire extinguisher to try and stop it from spreading.

"She got it out before it went it out of the kitchen," said Justine Urbina, a Jack in the Box crew member.

Urbina said there weren't very many customers in the restaurant when the fire broke out, but they did have to move along the line of cars in the drive-through lane.

Smoke filled the restaurant Friday night as Turlock City firefighters worked to put out the fire and Jack in the Box employees and passersby looked on from the Dollar General parking lot.

Check back at for updated information about the fire.