By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Tony Cabral
August 19, 1919-December 9, 2011
cabral pic 1

Tony Cabral, a lifelong resident of Turlock, was born on August 19, 1919 on his parents' ranch on Soderquist Road in Turlock. He passed away on December 9, 2011 in Modesto, CA. He was 92 years old.

He was preceded in death by his parents, Antone and Augusta Cabral, his brothers Manuel Fernandes, Alfred Fernandes, Joseph Cabral, Frank Cabral, Willie Cabral, John Cabral and sisters Sally Rosqui, Violet LaFontaine, Lorraine Acosta and one grandson, Scott Neely.

Tony attended Tegner Grammar School and he later attended night school learning air logics, mechanics and welding.

During most of his growing up years he did farm work working on his father's land. Then he later did farm work and pipeline work for hire.

He joined the army and fought in WWII. He was in the infantry and after the war he drove truck hauling out the equipment to send to New Zealand. He also transported the Japanese prisoners back and forth to the docks as they were working for the United States helping to load the equipment to be shipped out. Most of his army career was spent all over the South Pacific area, but was then stationed in Guam after the war ended.

After he returned he went to work for Fernandes Implement where he sold and serviced farm equipment. While working for Fernandes he also drove truck hauling produce and worked on weekends on is own farm raising melons, potatoes and beans.

In 1965 he went to work for Frank Souza Construction where he was a welder and shop foreman. While working for Souza he also helped Frank Bettencourt with his walnut orchard and did bartending.

After 20 years he retired from Souza, and then worked for Joe Coelho for a short time swathing hay. He then took complete charge of the walnut orchard owned by the Bettencourts. He did that until he finally retired in 2008.
Tony was a member of American Legion, Young Men's Institute, Knights of Columbus, Turlock Moose Lodge and Hilmar/Stevenson Veterens of Foreign Wars Post 698 where he served as Commander for three years. He was also a member of several Portuguese American societies ie. Hilmar Cabrillo Club 30, UPEC, SES, and Luso American. He was president of Cabrillo Club and Turlock Pentecost Association twice.
He helped with the Pentecost Association since 1937, since he was 18 years old, either serving food or beverages. (His father was one of the original men
that started the Turlock Pentecost Association.) This year he helped hand out bread on Saturday when sopas were given out. He was a director for the association continuously since 1950.
Also to his honor, the SES Board of Directors elected him to be Fraternilist of the year in 2005, which is comparable to "Man of the Year" It was a great honor for him.
In 2010, he was selected to serve as Turlock's 4th of July parade Grand Marshall.
Tony is survived by Alice, his wife of 40 years. His daughter Josie Neely, son Jim Cabral; Sister-in-law Mary Pereira; Stepchildren: Joe (and Helen) Enos and Mary Alice Costa; Grandchildren: Keith (and Liz) Neely, Mark (and Ana) Cabral, Debbie (and Bryan) Thomas; Step grandchildren: Joseph Jr. and Tina Enos, Sherry (and Steve) Myers; Great Grandchildren: Corey, Cheyanne and Paris Cabral, Josh and Austin Thomas, Kiara Neely and Athina Correia; Step Great Grandchildren: Alisa, Kevin, Breanna and Sarah Myers, Mychelle Enos, Joshua Goodrum, and Cory Dalton. He is also survived by his brothers, George Cabral and Louie Cabral and his, sister, Arlene Rushing.
Visitation will begin at noon and conclude with a rosary at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 15 at Turlock Funeral Home, 425 N. Soderquist Rd. in Turlock. A mass of Christian Burial will be held at 11:00 a.m. on Friday Dec. 16 at Sacred Heart Church, 1200 Lyons Ave., Turlock. Burial will follow at Turlock Memorial Park.
In lieu of flowers donations may be made in Tony's memory to American Cancer Society or to a charity of donor's choice.
Please share your memories and condolences at

Turlock Journal
Wednesday, December 14, 2011