By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Deputies catch Denair robbery suspect
LOGO sheriff

A Waterford parolee was arrested Wednesday night hours after allegedly robbing a Denair convenience store at gun-point.

The robbery happened around 6 p.m. Wednesday at the Denair Mart and Liquor and Food in the 4700 block of Main Street.

The suspect entered the store, held the clerk at gunpoint, demanded an undisclosed amount of money and fled the area driving what was described as a bronze Chevy Blazer, said Stanislaus County Sheriff’s Department spokesman Sgt. Luke Schwartz.

The same car was later seen leaving a residence in the 400 block of E Street in Waterford a short time later. Deputies attempted a traffic stop, but the driver, later identified as Daniel Reagan, a 35-year-old parolee from Waterford, failed to stop and a pursuit ensued.

“Reagan disregarded public safety by failing to yield, blowing stop signs and running through red lights,” Schwartz said. “He eventually crashed his sport utility vehicle into a ditch near the intersection of Held Road and Briggsmore Avenue in Modesto.”

Speeds during the pursuit reached up to 80 miles per hour.

Reagan was taken into custody shortly after the traffic collision. 

A parole search of his residence in Waterford revealed Reagan had been in possession of a live firearm with a tampered serial number, a replica weapon consistent with what was believed to have been used in the earlier robbery, along with cash in similar denominations to what was taken in Denair.  A syringe loaded with a substance resembling heroin was also recovered. 

Reagan was out on parole for a previous residential armed robbery conviction. He also had been out on bail for a separate and unrelated pending case, Schwartz said.

Reagan was booked into Stanislaus County Jail on felony charges of evasion, armed robbery, narcotics possession, an enhancement for committing a new law violation while out on bail, a felon in possession of a firearm charge, as well as a parole violation/revocation.  He currently remains in custody.