By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Deputy fired fatal shot in death of Turlock man
Placeholder Image

A standoff that was sparked by a suspected suicidal man opening fire upon Stanislaus County Sheriff’s deputies Wednesday afternoon came to a deadly end when the man was found dead from a single gunshot wound hours later.

The man was identified as William Nazar, 43, of Turlock.

Nazar died from a gunshot wound he received during an exchange of gunfire with Stanislaus County Sheriff’s deputies, sheriff spokesman Royjindar Singh said.

The confrontation began to unfurl around 3 p.m. Wednesday in the area of Verduga Road and East Avenue, located just outside of Turlock. Someone at the residence called 911 and stated a family member inside the home was expressing suicidal thoughts and had armed himself with a gun, Singh said.

Two sheriff’s deputies arrived at the scene and as they were approaching the home Nazar exited the house and fired his gun at the two deputies, Singh said.

One deputy returned gunfire and Nazar ran back into the home, according to Singh.

The deputies were able to retreat to a safe point unharmed. The deputies put in a call for assistance and before long the house and neighborhood were surrounded by law enforcement from multiple agencies and counties.

Three individuals were in the home when the shootout began — two teenagers and one adult. At least one individual made it out of the home during the initial confrontation and the others came out of the home at the direction of law enforcement, Singh said.

Officials interviewed the three individuals and learned Nazar was an outdoor enthusiast and had access to several weapons, Singh said.

The Special Weapons and Tactics teams from differed agencies had the house surrounded and began the slow process of checking and clearing the out buildings on the property.

As a team approached the home they found Nazar outside the residence, dead from a gunshot wound.

Singh said an autopsy was conducted Thursday morning, the results of which determined that the fatal shot was fired by a deputy.

The deputy that fired the fatal shot has been put on paid administrative leave as per protocol.