By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Family forced out by fire
Placeholder Image

A family of seven had to find temporary housing Wednesday after an electrical fire caused damage at their home.

The fire was reported around 12:30 p.m. Wednesday in the 2000 block of Cody Court, the Turlock Fire Department reported.

The fire was primarily located in a bedroom. It was traced back to a power strip in a small cabinet, according to the fire department.

The fire department responded with 11 fire fighters and had the flames under control in approximately six minutes.

The fire caused damage to the cabinet, floor, wires and television. Smoke damage was present throughout the house.

The fire department reported repairs to the home are needed and estimated the dollar loss at $4,000.

The Red Cross was assisting the family of two adults and five children with temporary housing and food.

The fire department said the home did not have working smoke alarms and that it was lucky the fire broke out while the family was awake and not when they were asleep.

Smoke detectors should be tested regularly and the batteries changed twice a year, usually when Daylight Savings Time starts and ends.