By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fire chars garage in Turlock
garage fire
A fire ignited in a garage at a Turlock home burned some stored items and a vehicle Sunday morning. - photo by Photo contributed by the Turlock Fire Department

The Turlock Fire Department responded to a fire early Sunday morning that was sparked by a malfunction in a refrigerator in the garage.

The residents were all able to get out of the home safely, thanks in part to their smoke alarm and residential sprinkler system, the fire department reported.

The fire was reported shortly before 5:30 a.m. Sunday at 1882 Moonbeam Way.  

The first engine to arrive at the scene found smoke coming from the garage area of the two-story home.

Firefighters found the fire in the garage coming from a refrigeration unit. The fire was kept from spreading to the house by the residential fire sprinkler system.

Turlock firefighters went to work, stretching fire hose, ventilating the home, extinguishing the fire, and performing a search to ensure the home was clear of any other occupants or pets.

“Quick extinguishment prevented thousands of dollars worth of damage to the home,” said Turlock Fire Chief Robert Talloni.

The fire spread to some nearby storage items and a vehicle parked inside the garage.

Turlock Fire responded with two chief officers and four Engine companies. Turlock Rural and Ceres Fire Department provided city coverage during the fire.

The fire department said the event was a good example of the benefits of having a working smoke alarm.

“The residential sprinkler system and working smoke detectors were instrumental in giving the family time to safely escape the home,” the fire department stated in a news release.