A 12-year-old girl’s quick actions helped her and her mother escape a house fire on Sunday in Turlock.
The fire was at a two-story home in the 4000 block of Fosberg Road.
The fire ignited around midnight in the garage and spread up to the second floor, said Turlock Fire Department spokesperson Capt. Jason Bernard.
The young girl heard the sound from the crackling flames and smelled the smoke and quickly woke her mother and the two were able to get out of the home as the smoke alarm started going off, Bernard said.
The first firefighters to arrive found the attached garage fully engulfed in flames and spreading to the second floor. The fire was also encroaching on the house next door.
“A large hose line was used to knock down the bulk of the fire, prevent further spread and cool the house next door,” Bernard said. “Meanwhile, additional Turlock City crews quickly made entry into the home with additional hose lines to fight the fire on the first and second floors.”
Firefighters found and rescued two of the family’s four cats, Bernard said.
Crews extinguished the remaining fire, checked for extension, and salvaged multiple personal belongings inside the home.
The cause of the fire was not immediately known because of the extent of the damage, Bernard said.
American Medical Response personnel arrived and checked on one of the occupants who had experienced minor smoke inhalation.
The family was displaced from the home and were being assisted by Red Cross and family members.
Turlock City Fire Department responded with three engines, Squad 32, a battalion chief and the fire marshal. Additional assisting agencies included Ceres Fire, Turlock Rural Fire, the Turlock Fire Department, AMR, Turlock Irrigation District and Pacific Gas and Electric. Stanislaus Consolidated Fire and Turlock Rural Fire District assisted with city coverage for the duration of the incident.