By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Trojans best Pride in high-scoring battle
Marcus Garza runs in a 2-yard touchdown during Pitman's game Friday evening against Lincoln. - photo by CANDY PADILLA/The Journal

Lincoln High School spoiled the Pitman High School football team’s home opener Friday night by a score of 47-40, despite the Pride fighting for the lead until the final minutes of the game.

The Trojans came out strong offensively to begin the game, taking a quick 15-0 lead in the first quarter. Pitman’s special teams squad threw the Pride back into the competition soon after, however, thanks to a 99-yard kick return from Tyler Stout with just one-minute left in the quarter. The following kickoff, an onside kick, was recovered by Julian Garcia of the Pride, giving Pitman possession once again.

Marcus Garza then ate away at the Trojans’ lead with a 2-yard carry into the end zone at the start of the second quarter, bringing the score to 15-13 after a missed two-point conversion, with just under 12 minutes to go in the half.

Just five minutes later, Pitman’s Jakob Partida made the score 20-15 after an exciting 57-yard touchdown run. Partida finished the game with 114 yards total and one touchdown carry.

Though last week the Pride’s defense was able to keep their opponent from scoring, the team met a different challenge against the Lincoln squad, allowing 30 points in the first half alone and the lead to slip from their grasp more than once during the game.

Lincoln was able to take the lead once more, 22-20, when quarterback Quinton Gaines connected with Seph Lewis for a 74-yard touchdown pass, but it took only one play for Pitman’s quarterback Teyton Fair to connect with Denzel Steckwren for a 65-yard touchdown pass of his own, bringing the score to 27-22 with a minute left in the half.

Fair completed 251 passing yards in the game, with three touchdown passes.

Pitman’s opportunity to go into the half with the lead was stifled when the Trojans were able to complete a 13-yard touchdown pass to take the lead 30-27, and by the first minute of fourth quarter Lincoln completed a 20-yard field goal.

Down 33-27, the Pride answered back with an impressive 30-yard touchdown pass from Fair to Steckwren, but a blocked point after attempt tied the game at 33-33 with just under eight minutes left to play.

The Trojans continued their offensive attack in the game’s final minutes, scoring twice more in the fourth quarter. With Lincoln ahead 47-33 by the final two minutes of the contest, Pitman refused to go down without a fight. Fair completed a 44-yard pass to Stout with 59 seconds left but it wasn’t enough, bringing the final score to 47-40.

The Pride is now 1-1, and will play next week at 7 p.m. against Pleasant Grove High School at Joe Debely Stadium.