By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Woman escapes armed suspect
Jon Russell Scott

Multiple reports of a man armed with a gun and chasing a woman on a Turlock street brought out the Turlock Police Department’s Critical Response Team and ended with the suspect’s arrest for attempted homicide.

The suspect, Jon Russell Scott, 24, of Turlock was arrested and booked into the Stanislaus County Jail for seven felony charges including attempted murder in the first degree, ex-felon in possession of a firearm, false imprisonment, inflicting corporal injury on a spouse/cohabitant, criminal threats, and two counts of violating his probation. Scott was on Post Release Community Supervision for domestic violence.

The incident began at 8:16 a.m. Sunday when the police department received multiple reports that a man armed with a gun was chasing a woman in the 800 block of Angelus Street. Some of the callers reported hearing shots fired, according to the police department.

Officers quickly responded and located the victim at the intersection of Soderquist and Vermont, said police department spokesperson Deandra Wiley. She had minor injuries and declined medical attention.

The victim told investigators she had gone to Scott’s home to retrieve some personal belongings, but when she tried to leave, Scott stopped her and a physical fight began, Wiley said.

“Scott then retrieved a handgun from another room which allowed the victim to lock the bedroom door and climb out the window to escape,” Wiley said. “As the victim was running down the street and yelling for someone to call the police, Scott was chasing her with the handgun in his hand. At one point, Scott stopped and fired his weapon at the victim as she was running away.”

Due to the nature of the incident, the Turlock Police Critical Response Team, consisting of the Hostage Negotiations Team and Special Weapons And Tactics Team, were activated.

Turlock Police Detectives quickly began working on an arrest warrant and search warrant to search the residence, to locate Scott and to recover the weapon.  Just after 1:45 a.m. Monday the SWAT Team arrived at the residence. Several verbal announcements were made, all of which were left unanswered by Scott.  Negotiators made several attempts to call Scott on his cell phone, all of which were left unanswered.  Eventually, at 2:11 a.m., Scott began to communicate with negotiators through text message.  At 2:26 a.m., Scott surrendered himself and was taken into custody without incident. 

During the search of the residence, a firearm and other evidence was located.

The Ceres Police SWAT Team who also responded to assist with personnel and equipment that were critical for the success of this operation.

Anyone with any information regarding this case is encouraged to contact Detective Raul Garcia by calling (209) 664-7314.